image description

image description
Film

Han Solo's Star Wars: From Orphan to Galatic Smuggler

Star Wars Episode VII: An Obsessive's Guide To What Will Happen

by Chris Higson
14 May 2013 18 Comments

In honour of George Lucas' birthday, here is an expert's prediction on what awaits us in the latest installment of the series.

So the news broke at the end of October that George Lucas had sold LucasFilm to the Disney Corporation. There was a disturbance felt in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

One of those voices was mine.

Then after flying through all 7 stages of grief and a few good friends talking me round, I got to thinking, it can’t be all that bad. After all Disney had done a fine job with my much loved Marvel films. Heck they did The Avengers better than most people ever dreamed it would be right?

So why not pass the Star Wars universe on to the ‘next generation’?

I believe that this could be a good thing for my most beloved franchise. A fresh pair of eyes on a universe that for as long as I can remember has had me reaching into my wallet to shell out for the original, remade, re-mastered, blu ray and 3D cinema releases, could be just what the doctor ordered.

The announcement that came with the Disney buyout came in the shape of Episode VII, the next full length feature film in the Star Wars Saga and not only that, the first in a new Trilogy!

This announcement has left many Star Wars fans attempting to guess just what the new trilogy could all be about. Will it be based on the highly thought of Thrawn trilogy, written by Timothy Zahn, set five years after Return of The Jedi and heavily featuring everybody’s favourites, Han, Luke, Leia and Chewy?

Early reports suggest not.

Or could it be a totally new look on The Star Wars universe, new planets, systems and characters?

I for one, think it would be silly of the filmmakers not to at least heavily reference the other films.

I would hope the fact that they have employed Toy Story 3 writer, Michael Arndt, will mean that the true essence of the original trilogy’s simple, good against evil, storyline could be harnessed again with the skill that Arndt clearly has for evoking true emotions from characters such as a large furry teddy bear and a cocky spaceman.

Well then. What could or should we expect to see in the next Episode of the biggest movie franchise in history? Lets speculate…

To start with I don’t think the new films will follow a totally new story arc. I believe old favourites such as Luke and Leia will make appearances in one form or another. The most likely of these is probably Mark Hamill reprising his role as Luke Skywalker, (I don’t think Harrison Ford will be coming back to play Han, unfortunately).

I would assume that the films will be set long after Return of The Jedi. This gives the writer, shall we say, more artistic licencing (all the Jedis are old now!). Expect to see Hamill appear in ‘Force form’, possibly as a mentor to a new Jedi, a Jedi that could have come from the new Jedi Order that Luke himself set up after the collapse of the Empire…

The real mouth-watering possibility for me is to see the Empire on its toes. Without their leader Emperor Palpatine, what happened to all these Admirals, Generals and Tie fighter pilots?

It would be very similar to Episodes I, II , III if all they did was another rise of the Empire to take on the Jedi angle I’ll give you that. But could they do this in a more sophisticated and less ‘Trade Federationary’ way?

An underground resurgence in an extreme political belief, which was crushed years ago by The Rebellion. A belief that over the years has become more attractive to the masses who hear hand me down stories from ex Star Destroyer workers who are sick of seeing the Jedi live comfortably on Coruscant, protecting the galaxy, when things closer to home on the lower levels of Coruscant are nothing short of inhumane.

Members and other dignitaries of the Empire who were banished by a new Republic, sent to the outer rim to fend for themselves.

It’s here, in these areas, where a new threat to galactic peace could lurk…

I find it hard to see any Star Wars film be brought to the big screen without Yoda. Hell if he can show up in a bar or on a train to flog a mobile phone then he must be able to show up in the new flicks. In fact the more I come to think of it cameos in ‘Force form’ form Hayden Christensen (Anikin), Ewan McGregor (Obi Wan), Yoda and Mark Hammill (Luke) are all probably very likely and I for one would welcome them.

Stars Wars Episode 7: Hey Internet, Chill Out For A Moment

David Lynch’s Star Wars and Other Film Combinations That Nearly Were

Some fan fiction does point towards possible new characters in the next episodes, the offspring of Han and Leia being the most intriguing, in my opinion. The twins Jaina and Jacen and the youngest born, Anakin Solo! These guys could be our new band of merry men to get behind.

There are of course plenty of worlds that could be revisited now. I would expect to see Tatoonie and Naboo (don’t mention Jar Jar). However these movies give us the chance to explore new planets and systems that have only been mentioned in passing in the other movies. Places like Dantooine and Bespin. These places have a meaning to hard core fans but little enough is known about them to mean that the new filmmakers could have a bit of slack to play with.

There is a vast universe out there for the filmmakers to play with, I just hope they do the Star Wars name justice. I know people scoffed at the prequels, but they were George’s prequels and to us fans that meant something. Handing it over to a new generation needs to be done with care and attention to detail. I don’t want a Michael Bay, Transformers style movie just because it’s what makes money at the box office. To so many of its fans Star Wars is more than a brand and no matter how silly people think it sounds, I’m afraid its true.

May the force be with you! (I’ve always wanted to say that)

Oh, and if Anthony Daniels isn’t in the new films as C3P0 I’ll eat my hat!

Boll Weevil 2:23 pm, 19-Nov-2012

As long as they keep Hayden Christensen far, far away from the new films I will be happy.

Tyler 6:12 am, 23-Jan-2013

"places like ... Bespin" Um, has the author not seen the original trilogy? Bespin is in Episode V and VI.

Bob 11:30 am, 5-Feb-2013

Hell no Hayden Christensen was the only reason for me to see episode 1-3 and I would be only to happy if he returns in episode 7 as vaders ghost and also I'm seriasly hoping to see Jacen Solo as the protagonist of the next 2 trilogies but also as the antagonist as it would put an interisting spin on things(referancing to Star wars legacy of the force) Perhaps he could show up at the end of the first movie as a future force gost of his sith self.

MarlonS69 3:00 pm, 27-Mar-2013

Bob. No.

star wars freak 5:32 pm, 18-Apr-2013

they should make star wars movies about what happened before episode one and tell the tale of the sith

chris 5:50 pm, 18-Apr-2013

no way. they have to stick to the already written G cannon. maybe start with han and leia and their children with jacen crossing to the dark side in episode 8 and finishing with his battle and death at the hands of his sister jaina. wherever they start they have to stick to the G cannon un my opinion. dont even think of writing a whole new cannon, thats just ridiculous.

The5herriff 5:57 pm, 18-Apr-2013

Er... Tyler, Bespin wasn't in Episode 6. Not the real one anyway. It was a CGI add-on to one of the later re-releases. One of many George Lucas made over time as he begun to mess with the original trilogy.

Seely1138 7:28 pm, 18-Apr-2013

An "obsessive's guide"??? "Lucasfilm" doesn't get a capital "F". "The Force" does. Harrison Ford will be back as Han Solo. It's C-3PO. Letter at the end, not a number. Mark Hamill, not "Hammill". Be excited about a new triolgy, but edit your columns, do your homework and have some respect for a galaxy far, far away... Lucas is a genius, Star Wars is Forever. Peace out.

Bengis 12:37 am, 19-Apr-2013

Tantoonie! Heh, now that does sound Disney!!

Walkie 7:14 pm, 19-Apr-2013

Of course Harrison Ford is returning. I have no idea why you would think any differently.

Andy1234 1:49 am, 20-Apr-2013

Awesome comment, Seely1138.

Jacen 2:50 am, 20-Apr-2013

I think they need to work around the main ideas of the extended universe, using characters (Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, and Ben), prior ideas, and backstory. Unfortunately they have waited too long to just continue episode 6. They have to fast forward and somehow explain what happened between episode 6-7. It will be a tough sale to convince ppl that the big 3 are still battling the empire 30 years later. They need to create a new story without stepping on the toes of the loyal fans who buy LucasArt sponsored books every year..ie use extended universe characters ect....

Jen 6:57 am, 24-Apr-2013

I would *LOVE* to see Hayden Christensen appear as a Force Ghost. Ewan McGregor too. And Luke & Leia's reactions to Anakin's ghost. Would be humorous for the twins to overhear some of Anakin's & Obi-Wan's banter as well. Vader's youth revealed much to everyone elses' amusement. ;)

Abril 5:43 pm, 16-Jun-2013

I would want to have Hayden Christensen even for like 10 second. :) And Ewan McGregor. <3

Emma 1:11 am, 3-Jul-2013

You people are crazy I study Star Wars has anyone ever read or researched the new republic I know all about it and if they choose the wrong kind of actors or mess the story line up like their cartoon I will literally sue disney ! Not even JK one bit !

Emma 1:12 am, 3-Jul-2013

Any ways sorry to say everything you guys have come up with isn't even in the stories

Thomas 2:12 am, 20-Jul-2013

I have faith that Disney will be true to the Expanded Universe timeline. From Return of the Jedi, effectively every single year for the next fifty years has been written about in a book, from The Truce at Bakura to the New Jedi Order to Fate of the Jedi. But between the most recent book following the events of FOTJ, there is another good fifty years before the next known event occurs, involving Kol Skywalker and the Vongforming Project that eventually leads to the rise of Darth Krayt's Sith Order, as told in the "Legacy" graphic novels. I believe that it is during these fifty years that these films will take place. The only thing I can speculate is that, at the end of the series, Luke Skywalker is going to die. While it is not exactly surprising that his Force Ghost is there to talk to Cade Skywalker 130 years after A New Hope, I get the feeling that before now LucasArts expressly forbid the death of Skywalker in other novels, perhaps anticipating a third film trilogy like this. Of course they could just say "Luke died peacefully in his sleep at the age of 95" in the credits of Episode IX, but really people want to see that moment, and honestly, the films are the story of the Skywalkers. The Prequels are the story of just Anakin and his fall; the classic trilogy is about both Anakin's redemption and Luke's rise as a hero and the first of the new Jedi. The final trilogy would very fittingly chronicle the end of Luke's life and showcase the legacy he leaves upon the galaxy and the Jedi forever.

C. Spangler 9:43 pm, 8-Aug-2013

Hayden as Anakin spirit for Episode VII? Yes please. Post ROTJ EU characters? No thank you.