33. On taking the Chelsea job: "If I wanted to have an easy job I would have stayed at Porto. Beautiful blue chair, the UEFA Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me."
32. "There is no pressure at the top. The pressure’s being second or third."
31. On being voted the ninth most influential man in the world: "What position is my wife in? Eighth, at least."
30. "I was nine or 10 years old and my father was sacked on Christmas Day. He was a manager, the results had not been good, he lost a game on December 22 or 23. On Christmas Day, the telephone rang and he was sacked in the middle of our lunch."
29. On Lionel Messi’s sense of fair play: "How do you say cheating in Catalan?"
28. On Arsenal: "Some clubs are treated as devils, some are treated as angels. I don’t think we are so ugly that we should be seen as the devil and I don’t think Arsene Wenger and David Dein are so beautiful that they should be viewed as angels."
27. "I think the best place to work in football is England."
26. On rotation: "Why drive Aston Martin all the time, when i have Ferrari and Porsche as well? That would just be stupid."
25. On Cristiano Ronaldo: "A kid made some statements not showing maturity and respect. Maybe it's his education, difficult childhood, no education, maybe it is the consequence of that."
24. "Sometimes you see beautiful people with no brains. Sometimes you have ugly people who are intelligent, like scientists."
23. On Ricardo Carvalho: "Ricardo Carvalho seems to have problems understanding things, maybe he should have an IQ test, or go to a mental hospital or something."
22. "We have top players and, sorry if I’m arrogant, we have a top manager."
21. On Claudio Ranieiri: "I studied Italian five hours a day for many months to ensure I could communicate with the players, media and fans. Ranieri had been in England for five years and still struggled to say ‘good morning’ and ‘good afternoon."
20. "Look, I’m a coach. I’m not Harry Potter. He is magical, but in reality there is no magic. Magic is fiction and football is real."
19. On knocking Manchester United out of the Champions League with Porto: "You would be sad if your team gets as clearly dominated by opponents who have been built on 10% of the budget."
18. "I am more scared of bird flu than football. What is football compared with life? I have to buy some masks and stuff – maybe for my team as well."
17. On Didier Drogba: "I am no longer Chelsea coach and I do not have to defend them any more, so I think it is correct if I say Drogba is a diver."
16. Football is a game about feelings and intelligence.
15. On Alex Ferguson: "This is nothing against Sir Alex whatsoever. After the game on Wednesday we were together in my office and we spoke and drank wine. Unfortunately it was a very bad bottle of wine and he was complaining, so when we go to Old Trafford for the second leg, on my birthday, I will take a beautiful bottle of Portuguese wine."
14. "I hate to speak about individuals. Players don't win you trophies, teams win trophies, squads win trophies."
13. On Rafa Benitez replacing him at Inter Milan: "One thing is for certain. Benitez won't do better than me."
12. "When I go to the press conference before the game, in my mind the game has already started."
11. On injuries: "It is like having a blanket that is too small for the bed. You pull the blanket up to keep your chest warm and your feet stick out. I cannot buy a bigger blanket becuase the supermarket is closed. But I am content because the blanket is cashmere. It is no ordinary blanket."
10. On a defensive display by Spurs: "As we say in Portugal, they brought the bus and they left the bus in front of the goal."
9. "I’m not a defender of old or new football managers. I believe in good ones and bad ones, those that achieve success and those that don’t."
8. On Arsene Wenger: "I think he is one of these people who is a voyeur. He likes to watch other people. There are some guys who, when they are at home, have a big telescope to see what happens in other families. He speaks, speaks, speaks about Chelsea."
7. "I am Jose Mourinho and I don't change. I arrive with all my qualities and my defects."
6. On Roman Abramovic: "If Roman Abramovich helped me out in training we would be bottom of the league and if I had to work in his world of big business, we would be bankrupt."
5. "The world is so competitive, aggressive, consumive, selfish and during the time we spend here we must be all but that."
4. On Pep Guadiola: "When you enjoy what you do, you don't lose your hair, and Guardiola is bald. He doesn't enjoy football."
3. "You can't win the treble every season. But I've done it twice and I think twice is quite a lot."
2. On Barcelona: "Barcelona are a great club. But in 200 years of history they have won the European Cup only once. I have been managing for a few years and I have already won the same amount."
1. "Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one."