22. "Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore."
21. "When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them."
20. "Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game. They have won five European Cups and their status is up there with AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich."
19. "The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that."
18. "All I can say is that I am a people’s person"
17. On Southampton, now third in the Premier League: "Southampton don’t have to sell, they have a choice. Maybe their objectives have changed. They were looking to be a Champions League club, I believe."
16. On Tottenham, a season before spending over £100 himself: "If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league."
15. "I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence."
14. "I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless."
13. "I use a quote with the players,'Per aspera ad astra', which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’."
12. "The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying."
11. To his players pre-season: "I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes."
10. "You train dogs, I like to educate players."
9. "I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings."
8. "I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope."
7. "If you give a bad player time, he can play. If you give a good player time, he can kill you."
6. "It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes."
5. "I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life."
4. "All I'll ever do is all I've ever done in any job, and that's promise to fight for my life for the supporters and the people of the city."
3. "We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper."
2. "I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football."
1. "My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence."