The Greatest Player I Ever Saw: Carlos Tevez At The Boleyn

by Tom Shaw
25 December 2012 13 Comments

He may not have always showed his best form when he was with us, but the sheer magnitude of his arrival and his help in us avoiding the drop meant that he will always hold a place in the hearts of the Hammers faithful...

On the 6th of January 2007, West Ham United beat Brighton 3-0 in the FA Cup. It was p*ssing down with rain and it was a largely forgettable cup tie in which Premier League class outshone a Brighton side managed by gremlin looking Dean Wilkins. The game, however, was the confirmation for me that Carlos Tevez is the best player I have ever seen in a West Ham United shirt. He was constantly a menace to a fragile Brighton backline and his technical skill was second to none. I remember the match mainly for a piece of exquisite skill undertaken that day. As the ball came up towards Tevez on the right-hand touchline, he was able to spin the ball with the outside of his boot, around his man who was tight on him, and follow the path of the ball to continue his run down the wing. It was an extraordinary talent mainly seen on FIFA, but not in real life.

Tevez became a cult hero the day he signed. The bamboozlement surrounding the deal created its own status as one of the most shocking transfer deals ever. By the time his debut came against Aston Villa, fans were wearing Argentina shirts and showing off the country’s flag as he came off the bench for Marlon Harewood. Despite a turbulent season for the Hammers in which Alan Pardew rotated Tevez, was eventually sacked and only survived on the last day due to a memorable goal at Old Trafford scored by Tevez under Alan Curbishley, he embedded himself in West Ham fan’s hearts for his dogged displays. It would be unfair to say Tevez kept West Ham United up, because there were a lot of other co-stars to that great escape, but his goals were influential in rejuvenating the side.

He only ever scored seven goals for West Ham United, with the first arriving as late as March in the devastating 4-3 defeat by Tottenham at Upton Park. Six more goals including a sublime free kick against Bolton and a cracking strike from 25 yards against Chelsea, as well as the infamous goal against Man United, made Tevez indispensable to the team. His eventual departure was inevitable. Much like Scott Parker, it was as difficult as it was satisfying to see a world class player move to continue his career at a higher level. I will forever remember him though as the little, beautifully ugly man from Argentina who gave East London some South American flair and passion.

PrinceH 11:35 am, 26-Dec-2012

How marvelous Tevez goal against ManU was, it did NOT keep us up! I can't understand that people, even Hammers fans with some knowledge, repeat this story over and over again... 0-0 had been enough, so in many ways - even if the goal still gives me goosebumps - Green was the most important of heroes that legendary day.

Jason 12:22 pm, 26-Dec-2012

Don't know how long you have been watching West Ham but by the statement I have read not very long. Shall we begin , Moore, Hurst , Peters, Brooking , Bonds , Devonshire, Ward , Cottee, Ferdinand, Lampard, Carrick, Cole Sinclair. These are just a few Great players who have played many games not just 4 months.

Tom Shaw 1:00 pm, 26-Dec-2012

I know the goal didn't keep us up! I say we survived due to that goal because it encapsulated the resurrection of the club towards the end of the season. I've been watching West Ham 15 years so admittedly I would be unable to properly comment on Moore, Hurst etc. It was incredibly difficult to eliminate the other names you've mentioned, I just felt purely in terms of skill Tevez just nicked it.

robert hammer 1:36 pm, 26-Dec-2012

Scott Parker leaving for a higher level?!! That's fighting talk in my part of Essex.

myleftboot 1:51 pm, 26-Dec-2012

Did you wrote this to remind all footy fans of the most outrageous case of cheating in the English game, and to celebrate stealing the Blades of their rightful place in the top tier, sending them in to a decline they have yet to recover from? Our simply to remind the owners to differing pay the poxy compensation they still owe SheffU? That's right everyone, they have not even bothered to pay the pittance the FA imposed!

myleftboot 1:53 pm, 26-Dec-2012

Did you wrote this to remind all footy fans of the most outrageous case of cheating in the English game, and to celebrate stealing the Blades of their rightful place in the top tier, sending them in to a decline they have yet to recover from? Or simply to remind the owners to fucking pay the poxy compensation they still owe SheffU? That's right everyone, they have not even bothered to pay the pittance the FA imposed!

Helen 2:15 pm, 26-Dec-2012

myleftboot - dont know what you are complaining about £25m is hardly a pittance and West Ham are paying it back £5m a year still owing £5m. At the end of the day Sheffield Utd were not good enough to stay up and that's why they were relegated not because of Tevez. With that £25m you should be doing better than where you are so ask your manager and chairman where the money has gone.

tevez 4:51 pm, 26-Dec-2012

as a s u fan you truly are a soppy a cu@t kick with both feet sorry i mean left foot twat :-)

SJ 10:33 pm, 26-Dec-2012

Dear myleftboot...you are a muppet. A northern monkey, no doubt. I hope you and your silly little team rot in the lower leagues. Ps: learn to spell and you might get a job....muppet. Premier League Team Supporter.

rightboot up your ass 8:49 am, 27-Dec-2012

Leftboot you are a mug , how do you know if they are paying or not ?

rightboot up your ass 8:52 am, 27-Dec-2012

Also tevez was good , but still couldnt wait to move on . Moore for me loyal !

uptonspark 10:29 am, 27-Dec-2012

I've been going west ham for 35 years and seen some great players come and go but di canio for me me is the best player I've ever seen play live and that includes visiting teams.Although I would have liked to see home partner tevez up front with Brooking just behind threading balls through to them!

Danny Clark 11:51 am, 27-Dec-2012

Di canio had more skill in his little toe than tevez had in both feet!!! Tevez was, and is top class, but come on! Di canio was in a different league.