image description

Calling Someone A C**t On Twitter Is Now Officially A Crime

by Max Farquhar
16 April 2012 15 Comments

To hand out a custodial sentence for insulting someone on twitter borders on the ridiculous. What the hell is going on?

Twitter Behind Bars

I’ll repeat that shall I … if only to try and convince myself that I’m not dreaming … calling someone the C word is a terrible crime that will see you in court, prosecuted, found guilty and facing a custodial sentence. That’s official because the blogger and tweeter, Olly Cromwell, has today been found guilty under Section 127 of the Telecommunications Act 2003 of making a grossly offensive and menacing comment on Twitter.

Apparently, Olly called a Bexleyheath councillor a cunt, on Twitter, and a District Judge has now referred Olly To Bromley Court for sentencing. The prosecution are asking for a custodial sentence equal to 45 days for each letter.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

I share the same feeling as the guy over on the Bexley is Bonkers website … you’d expect Twitter to be alive with this story … but it isn’t. Check out the hastag #FreeTheBexleyOne … it’s hardly wall-to-wall outrage and fury. Why is that? No. Seriously. Why is that? Am I missing something here? Everyone must be crapping themselves about using a four letter word on Twitter. Is it because everyone is becoming increasingly wary about what they say on Twitter these days?

Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Where on earth is all this nonsense leading? Is the government and TPTB finally beginning to tighten the noose of the free speaking internet. Is thought … now officially a crime?

You can  check out the full story about Olly Cromwell, the Bexleyheath councillors and the latest updates on #c*ntgate HERE. And, if you should be reading this Olly, I’m stunned at the outcome so you must be feeling like you’re leaving in an absolute nightmare.

My thoughts are with you [there but for the grace of god and all that] and I just hope that someone comes to their senses and you don’t have to serve a custodial sentence and if this humble blog might be of any use to you, in any way, just ask.

We found this great article at www.maxfarquar.com. Follow @maxfarquar on twitter.

Other related stories…

Is C*** The New F***?

5 Words We Don’t Have In The English Language And Why

Click here for more stories about Life

Dave Lee 8:28 am, 16-Apr-2012

Am I still allowed to say cunt on Sabotage Times? I shitting well hope so.

Dan 9:53 am, 16-Apr-2012

This is crazy, I thought it was bad enough that other fella was locked up for racist taunts!

Allmodcons1965 10:36 am, 16-Apr-2012

Big brother is watching you...

djpekingman 11:58 am, 16-Apr-2012

Everybody with a twitter account should call this counciller guy a cunt. See how that screws up the already screwed up justice system Proper Sabotage time.

simon 12:16 pm, 16-Apr-2012

Its quite simple, like the joke twitter robin hood airport thing, we should all start calling everyone cunts. I did it last night. I called ashley young a cheating cunt. I dont have many followers, but I think we should all give it a go.

Tara Piscitelli 12:25 pm, 16-Apr-2012

wow...I am floored by this for a few reasons...I thought we had the right to freedom of speech although I hate the c word like most women...making it a crime is just plain STUPID...and

Tara Piscitelli 12:27 pm, 16-Apr-2012

last I knew...you can't fix stupid so...we're screwed.

Bob 3:19 pm, 16-Apr-2012

The Councillors name, it wasn't Colin was it?

'arrysfatwallet 4:00 pm, 16-Apr-2012

Bexleyheath councillors? Olly Cromwell's spot on! They're all c*nts!

Kaizen 4:25 pm, 16-Apr-2012

I think we should just try and get the word "cunt" trending on twitter. Just to show them how many people actually give a shit.

imominous 7:52 pm, 16-Apr-2012

Is this the UK? The country who arrested a 15 year old lad for a sign that called Scientology a cult? Subsequent signs called it a CU_T, which was possibly worse, as not everyone filled in the blank with L.

shadraq 9:27 pm, 16-Apr-2012

Max , You cannot be sent down for calling someone a cunt. Are you telling us everything?

bob 9:26 am, 17-Apr-2012

I think you´ll find that he was prosecuted as much for tweeting a picture of the councillors house and encouraging people to post shit through his letterbox as for calling him a cunt...but then again; I think.

gaz 10:58 am, 17-Apr-2012

I had my Facebook account suspended a few years ago when I called Simon Cowell a CNUT and his whole X Factory farce a JOKE - (when RATM went to number one). I was merely expressing an opinion and the reason they gave was I was using "Threatening and abusive" language. I couldn't believe it and haven't visited Facebook since. 1984 is upon us.

bob 11:57 am, 17-Apr-2012

yeah but Gaz; facebook is a business. If you came into my bar and started harassing people by calling them cunts then I´d through you out for your threatening and abusive behavior. This is not an example of a totalitarian fascist society but rather that facebook would prefer you don´t insult people who they value more highly than you and that encouraging people to post shit through peoples letterbox is incitement to violence. If he had written it in a letter and sent it to peoples´houses would you also think that was ok?