image description

image description
Music

Spillers Records, The Oldest Record Shop in the World

100 Non-Motörhead Songs That Mention The Ramones

by Ulrich Hesse
3 November 2013 39 Comments

Sparked by an iPod coincidence in August, I started searching Google for songs that mentioned The Ramones in the lyrics. Here's the results...

One day in August of last year, I was travelling home from work on public transport and listened to “Stay Positive”, the Hold Steady album, on my iPod. I was just about home when the regular album ended, so I shut down the iPod after “Slapped Actress”.

However, I happen to have the version with the bonus tracks, and so “Ask Her For Adderall” was the first song the next morning, when I turned on the iPod again to commute to the office. There’s a couplet in this song that goes:

If she asks just tell her that we opened for the Stones,

It’s her favorite band except for the Ramones.

Now, a few stations later, “Stay Positive” ended and I searched my iPod for something else I could listen to. I happened upon “Unhappy Hour”, an album by an obscure Phoenix band from the mid-90s called The Beat Angels. Since I hadn’t listened to it in ages, I selected it and travelled on.

About fifteen minutes later, I went off the train and walked over to the office building, just when the fifth track began, “Too Much Jazz”. There’s a couplet in this song that goes:

Do you remember when the Ramones were your best friends,

Made it so right to be alone.

I thought, “Well, what a coincidence to start and end that trip with a song that mentions the Ramones.” And then I wondered if there were any other songs like that on my iPod (there were) and how many there would be in my whole record collection (quite a few).

That day, I posted the first version of the list on Facebook, just because it’s the kind of nonsense people do on Facebook. This initial version of the list wasn’t very long, probably about a dozen songs I could think off straight away. Of course it drew some comments from people who added songs. Strangely, more than one comment mentioned “I heard Ramona sing” by Frank Black and “Kung Fu Ramone” by Guitar Wolf. It took me a while to realise that these people had found a list that Alex Ogg had done in May 2010 for Rock’s Backpages. It had 25 songs, but I felt that not all of them would do for me. “I heard Ramona” sing, for instance, may be ABOUT the Ramones, but it doesn’t mention them. Same goes for the Guitar Wolf track, which is an instrumental.

But now my ambition was aroused to do a list with 25 songs that REALLY mention the Ramones, or at least one Ramone. The work was done much more quickly than I thought, so I posted the list anew. Once again, people commented and suggested other songs; once again, I realised they had found these tracks mentioned somewhere on the internet but didn’t really know the songs in question. (Joey Ramone’s Wikipedia entry says “Hello Joe” by Blondie is a tribute song, so people would suggest that. However, the song does not mention Joey, only a Joe, who might or might not be Joey Ramone.)

Anyway, I realised that you CAN search for such songs on the web – if you restrict your search to lyrics. There was, for example, a great moment when I said to myself that people must have written songs about dressing like a Ramone. So I asked our dear friend Google to search for “lyrics dress like ramone” – and this is how I found a song by a Philly band called Howling Fantods entitled “(The Day All The Girls In Philadelphia Dressed Like) Ramones”. What’s more, you could download the song (and the whole album it’s from) for free! And to top it off, it turned out the song is as great as its title would suggest! I immediately tracked down the band on Facebook, told them I love their album – and added  I had only found them because I had been looking for songs that mention the Ramones.

01. “All Good Cretins” – Predator

02. “American Child” – The Stone Coyotes

03. “Ask Her For Adderall” – The Hold Steady

04. “As Long As I Can Listen” – The Dubrovniks

05. “Audacity of Huge” – Simian Mobile Disco

06. “BRB” – Dumbfoundead feat. Andrew Garcia

07. “The CCC Took Joey Away” – The Dirtshakes

08. “Champion The Underdog” – Eureka Machines

09. “Chinese Rocks” – The Heartbreakers

10. “Circles” – Fifteen

11. “Clone A Ramone” – The Liabilities

12. “Country Song (NOFX Should Listen More Ramones)” – Gramofocas

13. “Dancing With Joey Ramone” – Amy Rigby

14. “(The Day All the Girls in Philadephia Dressed Like) Ramones” – Howling Fantods

15. “D.E.A.D.R.A.M.O.N.E.S.” – Modern Life Is War

16. “Debbie Loves Joey” – Helen Love

17. “Dee Dee” – Terrorgruppe

18. “Dee Dee And Joey” – The Transistors

19. “Dee Dee Ramone” – Henry Fiat’s Open Sore

20. “End Of The Ramones” – Mr. T Experience

21. “Fiesta Ramone” – F.A.N.T.A.

22. “Girl About Town” – The Queers

66. “Noam Chomsky Versus The Ramones” – Milky Wimpshake

67. “Ode To Ramones” – The Commandos

68. “Ode To The Ramones” – De Heideroosjes

69. “Oh Boy!” – The Dickies

70. “O Mundo Sem Joey” – Carbona

71. “Punkrockgirl” – Die Ärzte

72. “Quiero Ser Tu Johnny Ramone” – F.A.N.T.A.

73. “Ramona” – Las Ultrasónicas

95. “29 x The Pain” – The Wildhearts

96. “We All Wanted To Be Rocked By The Ramones” – Anna & The Psychomen

97. “White Trash – Junior Senior

98. “Wir Hassen Die Ramones” – Lokalmatadore

99. “You Can’t Kill Joey Ramone” – Sloppy Seconds

100. “You’ll Have Time” – William Shatner

If you wonder about the non-Motörhead bit, I thought it would be very Ramones-like to not go for the most obvious and well-known one. Also, I felt it would be nice to have a song in reserve, so to speak, in case I got to number 49, 74 or 99 and couldn’t find another one. But that situation never arose.

Click here for more stories in Music

muttley 6:28 pm, 13-Jan-2012

Two more from Helen Love: Girl About Town "She got her picture in Rolling Stone She was third from the left behind Joey Ramone" "Yeah Yeah We're Helen Love" Interview in intro - "There was a rumour that that the only records you own are Ramones records"

www.thegreenwichbarber.com 6:31 pm, 13-Jan-2012

1-2-3-4!

Nigel 7:01 pm, 13-Jan-2012

Jolly well done. Here's me immediately thinking William Shatner, scanning down and down your list, getting all excited about being able to post one you'd missed, but nope, there it is at 100. Respect indeed.

andrew 7:03 pm, 13-Jan-2012

THE FALL- 'Mere Pseud Mag Ed', "Heard Ramones in 81...had a Spanish guitar"

Uli Hesse 7:07 pm, 13-Jan-2012

Thanks Muttley. Actually, "Girl About Town" is in the list, though credited to the Queers. I didn't realise it was a cover. Thanks Andrew. The Fall! Wow!

Polly 8:33 pm, 13-Jan-2012

I love the Ramones but had no idea they were referenced by this many bands. Particularly like the sound of #53... Great list!

www.thegreenwichbarber.com 9:46 pm, 13-Jan-2012

Re #53 - That's the song I'll be looking out for if I'm ever pulled up to do karaoke.

Uli Hesse 10:17 pm, 13-Jan-2012

It's a great one for karaoke ... because it's only 31 seconds long.

cliff vicious 10:51 am, 14-Jan-2012

Helen Love doesn't get half the credit she deserves. Almost all her songs mention the Ramones. Rockaway Beach for me, Heartbreak Hotel for you...

Uli Hesse 11:27 am, 14-Jan-2012

That one is a good example, Cliff. The song also namechecks "Psycho Therapy" and "Teenage Lobotomy". So it mentions three Ramones song titles. However, that is not the same as mentioning the Ramones.

www.thegreenwichbarber.com 10:50 pm, 15-Jan-2012

31 seconds! Get in, when I'm bottled off the karaoke stage I can tell people I only had 28 seconds left of the song to sing!

muttley 7:41 pm, 16-Jan-2012

Another couple from Helen Love: Riding Hi - "Got Rockaway Beach playing on the tape machine" Rollercoasting - "Bikini Kill and the Marvelettes, the Undertones and Rolling Stones, Sandra Bernhardt and Joey Ramone" Top 100 Helen Love songs that mention The Ramones anyone?

joel erith 10:31 am, 19-Jan-2012

ive got two for you. "she's my bitch" by the Supersuckers and "jamie" by weezer. ring ring ring up the president, find out where my country went.

Uli Hesse 11:36 am, 20-Jan-2012

Supersuckers! Excellent, Joel, thanks. I should've thought of that, I own the album and have seen the band a couple of times. I'm not sure about Weezer, thogh. The song namechecks the Beach Boys and the Stones, but not the Ramones. And the line you quote is a reference, not a mention. (Same goes for "Riding Hi" by Helen Love.)

joel erith 7:39 pm, 20-Jan-2012

Apologies for the Weezer Uli, when i listen to it I always add the Ramones on after the Stones line. I don't know why I wrote that line about from "The KKK..." I guess I was caught up in the magic and I'm from Scotland for crying out loud. Anyway, good shit Lad.

JeremyS / The Disappeared 7:49 pm, 11-Mar-2012

I'd like to add our song "Take Me To Manhattan" to this excellent list. It has a list of all my favourite bands from NY, including the Velvets, Talking Heads, Blondie, the Strokes and, of course, the Ramones. It's here if anyone wants a listen (or a free download): http://www.thedisappeared.info/?page_id=455

Uli Hesse 4:17 pm, 13-Mar-2012

Thanks, Jeremy! You're on the list if and when we do an update.

sid1 11:21 pm, 24-Mar-2012

'plus one' by coyote shivers mentions the ramones farewell show ..

sid1 11:39 pm, 24-Mar-2012

and another one from the Huntingtons : What Would Joey Do

Uli Hesse 7:44 pm, 25-Mar-2012

The first one is excellent, thanks!

Rafaella 8:23 pm, 7-Nov-2012

One more: Festa Punk, from the Brazilian band Os Replicantes :)

maa~ 3:28 am, 8-Nov-2012

The brazilian band 'Carbona' has another song who talks about ramones... it's called "dancando the doors com garotas ao nosso redoors" :D

Mario Vaquerizo 12:34 am, 6-Jan-2013

64-Nancy Ramone- Nancys Rubias, Nancys Rubias are a fake band like Millie Vanillie they don't play any instrument, should not be on this list.

Pipi Ramone 2:04 pm, 7-Jan-2013

Tarde de Sol - Expulsados (argentina) "No estaria mal conseguir alguna chica con corte stone, que me de pelota y que baile a go go con los ramones..!"

Ian Hunter 2:07 pm, 28-Feb-2013

Not forgetting 29 x the Pain, by The Wildhearts.

Ben Granger 3:55 pm, 25-Apr-2013

'Long Blonde' by the Long Blondes "I've seen her standing on her own / I've seen her dance to The Ramones / She never leaves her on her own / Why should she?"

Butter 12:30 am, 9-Jun-2013

I LOVE this list...The wife had this awesome comp in the '90s called Girl Crazy! and on it was The Swoons: My Granpa is Joey RAMONE. Google tell's me its on their Japanese Killer Drops album too.

Uli Hesse 11:28 pm, 5-Jul-2013

Thanks everyone! The Swoons, the Long Blondes, Os Replicantes and Expulsados make the list. We now have 109 songs. You have to look me up on Facebook to see the new list, though.

Uli Hesse 11:43 pm, 5-Jul-2013

Oh, I forgot to say that this new list is also much improved - because it now allows only one song per band or singer!

Pedro 1:08 am, 21-Jul-2013

Another one here:

Bruno Nogueira 10:05 pm, 21-Jul-2013

Gritando HC - Quero meu ingresso pro show do Ramones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo-FFJmfH0

Uli Hesse 12:33 pm, 7-Aug-2013

Here's the new list: http://sabotagetimes.com/music/111-non-motorhead-songs-that-mention-the-ramones

Road Cat 1:53 pm, 7-Aug-2013

Learn all about the Ramones in the book; “ON THE ROAD WITH THE RAMONES”. Throughout the remarkable twenty-two-year career of the Ramones the seminal punk rock band, Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famers, Recording Academy Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award winners and inductees into The Library of Congress' National Recording Registry, Monte A. Melnick saw it all. He was the band’s tour manager from their 1974 CBGB debut to their final show in 1996. Now, in this NEW UPDATED EDITION he tells his story. Full of insider perspectives and exclusive interviews and packed with over 250 personal color photos and images; this is a must-have for all fans of the Ramones.

Piter Ramone 10:55 am, 24-Sep-2013

'Homenaje a los Ramones' - the Petersellers. I think you should add the Motorhead one, Ramones and Motorhead are the best ever

Eric 9:00 pm, 30-Sep-2013

I think there's a Pixies song that mentions the Ramones....

sue merriman 12:26 pm, 3-Nov-2013

the HUMAN league off album Dare - the things that dreams are made of references 'Tommy Johnny Joey Dee Dee, good times'

Uli Hesse 9:15 pm, 21-Dec-2013

Thanks, Piter Ramone. Eric, you probably mean "I heard Ramona sing" by Frank Black. It's not on the list, because it doesn't actually mention the Ramones. Sue, the song is on the list - at #90. Also, we have an updated list online: http://sabotagetimes.com/music/111-non-motorhead-songs-that-mention-the-ramones

Richard 10:12 pm, 12-Jul-2014

F.A.N.T.A. - "quiero se un Ramone" the best Ramones tribute song ever from their album "he creado un Ramone".. good to see them and Las Ultrasonicas were already on this list! http://youtu.be/mFVKmeBrgEc

Frogge Ramone 5:37 pm, 16-Jul-2014